Saturday, April 9, 2011

Rekindling the vision

Nine years ago this week, God told me it was time to step out in faith. On Sunday, April 7, 2002, my pastor preached a sermon on “rekindling the vision”. For me, the vision was one of a new women and children's ministry that God had birthed in my heart two years earlier - a ministry that was located outside the city of Frederick in a safe and secure nurturing environment where homeless women and children could find healing, recovery and hope of a future. By the end of the two years leading up to April 7th, I had lost hope that the vision would ever be fulfilled because nothing seemed to be happening to make it a reality.

When I heard my pastor’s message that Sunday morning, I knew God was speaking to me. My pastor challenged each of us in the congregation with this question: “What’s keeping you from seeing the vision fulfilled?” God answered the question for me. He told me it was my fear of loosing a paycheck. I knew at that moment that God was asking me to step out in faith, leave my job, and start this new ministry as a full-time volunteer. That’s when Hope Alive, Inc. was born.

I wonder what would have happened if I had not been in church that morning or if I was preoccupied during my pastor's message and didn’t hear God speak to me. Or what if I assumed his message was for someone else thinking God couldn’t possibly be speaking to me! April 7, 2002 changed my life. The nine years since that time has been tremendously challenging, but incredibly rewarding and spiritually life-changing! What a privilege to watch what God can do to make His vision a reality. What a blessing to be used by God to serve His people in need when we say “YES” to His call. And what an honor to serve alongside so many of God’s faithful servants in the kingdom work He has called us to do.

What about you? Is there a vision God has laid on your heart that you’ve lost hope will ever be fulfilled? As my pastor asked me that Sunday morning nine years ago, “What’s keeping you from seeing the vision fulfilled?” Believe that with God all things are possible and listen intently for His voice because He is speaking!

Until next week …

Sue Oehmig
Founder and Executive Director

No comments:

Post a Comment