Thursday, December 23, 2010

Wishing for a do-over

As I’ve shared in earlier blogs this month, I’ve been watching for holy moments this Christmas season when God reveals Himself to us in special ways. Unfortunately, God gave me one this week and I rushed right past it. After a Tuesday morning meeting, I parked my car in downtown Frederick to pick up some donations for Hope Alive from my friends at the Dancing Bear Toy store. After dropping my quarter in the parking meter, I ran across the street and walked down the sidewalk to their store when I saw a poorly dressed man with long hair and gray beard. He had a Styrofoam coffee cup in his hand. As he neared the trash can on the sidewalk, he placed his coffee cup on the wide rim of the trash can and reached down into it to rummage around – most likely looking for food.

Sadly, I didn't even stop to ask if he needed help or something to eat. After leaving my friend's store, I briefly glanced down into the same trash can wondering if he found something to eat and then headed back across the street to my car. As I turned to unlock my car door and get in, there he was again – standing near my car with the same coffee cup in his hand. He didn’t say a word, but just looked at me. I hesitated, but then hopped inside my car and pulled out into traffic and drove away leaving him behind - or so I thought.

As I headed north on Rt. 15 toward Hope Alive, I started to think about him again and God reminded me about an important lesson He taught me while working at the Frederick Rescue Mission 10 years earlier. God showed me through a holy moment that my loving Him is dependent on how I love and serve those who are needy and living without hope. Jesus tells us in Matthew 25:35-40, that when we love and serve the “least of these brethren of Mine” that we minister to Jesus Himself. By reaching out to those in need we meet Jesus face to face.

I haven’t stopped thinking about this missed holy moment and found myself wishing for a “do-over”. This opportunity is gone, but I know I won’t let the next one go by without reaching out to the one in need with love. May these last two days before Christmas be filled with holy moments that fill us with God's love and peace ... especially the most holy moment we can experience by embracing the miraculous gift of God's Son Jesus who came to give us life. Merry Christmas!

Sue Oehmig
Founder and Executive Director

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Sue for that beautiful message and important reminder. May God Bless you and all the Hope Alive Family this Christmas and all year long.

    ReplyDelete