Friday, November 5, 2010

Hope is where I'm supposed to be

Two weeks ago a new family moved in to Hope Alive. Their first week with us was a huge transition for this young mother and her two little preschoolers - new house, new bed, new people, new day care, new home! The staff lovingly worked with this family to help make a smooth transition. For the first couple of days there were many tears from her children as they tried to figure it all out. But it wasn’t long before they had made new friends with our other youngest residents, were enjoying the playground and feeling at home.

Yesterday I watched these two young children in Abba’s Angels (our child development program for infant through preschool). The little girl was happily preparing breakfast in the play kitchen. She and her “guest” were eating honey buns and apples. Her younger brother was busy babbling to the staff as we assembled for prayer. Both of them excitedly joined our prayer circle to hold hands with the new adults in their lives that they have so quickly come to know and trust.

These are just a few of the comments their mother has made since they arrived … “I knew I needed to consider a solution to moving from place to place. When I called one day and “HOPE” appeared on my caller ID I knew this is where I am supposed to be.” “Beside a couple of family members, I have never trusted anyone to care for my child as much as I do Miss Ashley.” “What I like about this place is no one looks down on you because you are homeless; they just understand.”

This family has started attending a local church. Mom started her GED classes this week knowing her children are safe and well cared for. In just a few short weeks, this young family has found new stability in their lives and hope of a future. Thank you for making this possible by your support and interest in the work God has called us to do. Until next week …

Sue Oehmig
Founder and Executive Director

No comments:

Post a Comment